Blogger news

Blogroll

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Underneath

Title: Underneath
Author: Michael Cargill
Published by: Smashwords {E- book format}
Genre: Thriller, Suspense , Indie
Favorite Quote: Robert inhaled the first square of his bacon sandwich.  He chewed it slowly and
deliberately, savouring and analysing every morsel.  He swallowed, nodded and then grinned
with satisfaction.
“That’s a damn good bit of bacon sandwiching they’ve got going on here.  They should
advertise it or something, they would make a bloody killing, I swear to God,” he said.
Clare took a sip of her coffee.  “Is there such a thing as a bad bacon sandwich?  There
isn’t much that goes into them.”
Robert looked at her as if she had just blasphemed.  “Are you insane, woman?  There’s a
heck of a lot of thought that goes into a good bacon sandwich.  The bread has to be good and
fresh.  The bacon has to be decent and thick.  And no butter either, or it just melts and goes
all over your fingers.”

Blurb: Look at the person sitting just across from you. It doesn’t matter whether they’re a loved one, a friend, or a complete stranger.

Now look at their face. Are they happy? Are they sad? Or are they angry? Can you even tell?

How well do you actually know the people closest to you?

Have you ever seen the real person that lies just underneath what you see…?

My Review:
Hi my viewers! A note quick note as always: This book was given to me by the author for an honest review.

This book is more like a novella than a novel, only having 16 chapters.You have three main characters: Hugo, and two "coppers" Robert and Clare all told in third person. Hugo is...well...how do I explain Hugo?  Crazy, deranged, psycho?I'm sure there are a bunch of scientific disorders for Hugo, but let's just leave it at this: you won't get bored reading about him. It's very interesting to go through Hugo's world: one minute he is happy go-lucky and in a split second he is in a murderous rage, you really never know what he is going to do next. Now let's talk about the good guys in this story: Robert and Clare. Robert is your "clown" of the story, he has the funny lines as you can see from the quote above. Clare however, is the more serious of the two but don't think that Robert is not a good cop: both are dedicated and good at their jobs. I think their part in this story is very obvious so I won't really go in to it.

This book was very fast-paced, a little too fast for my taste. By the time I finished the book I was wishing for more chapters. This is the biggest reason I'm not giving this book 5 stars, I really feel like if he made the story longer he could really flesh these characters and still keep the fast pace. Also I was sad that Hugo didn't creep me out! I meant he was weird but I didn't feel goosebumps and shiver when I read about him.
Don't let these little things stop you though, it was a great read I totally recommend it!

Rating:




1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I've nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award.

    Full rules are via a post on my blog:

    http://verdictbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    Happy reading and keep up will the great blogging.

    Sophie :) [Verdict]

    ReplyDelete